I asked a dozen stylists, “What would you like your guests to know for their next hair appointment?” Here's their advice:
* Arrive on time. Show up with clean, styled hair the way you like to wear it. This is especially important for curly hair styles.
* Look for styles that work well for your hair type: fine, wavy, curly, short, or long. Have realistic expectations.
* Bring pictures that clearly show a hairstyle and/or color. Pictures allow you and your stylist to bridge the language gap. Once you have agreed on a service, allow your stylist to be creative and do what they do best.
* Listen to and implement the recommendations for maintaining your look. It’s a personalized prescription for you based on your hair type and hair style. Don’t skimp on the maintenance plan!
* Be open to change products, style, color, etc. Be realistic in the time you are willing to spend each day on your hair.
* A trim and a hair cut are the same service.
* No, you may not leave with wet hair after a color service. Your stylist is gathering information and making notes while your hair is being dried.
* Leave the entourage at home (kids, friends, etc.). Distractions are not helpful to your stylist, the other stylists, and guests who are relaxing and enjoying their services.
* Be aware of cancellation policies and be prepared to pay a no show or late cancellation fee if you can’t make your appointment.
* As always, communication is key. There should be a mutual exchange of information about what did or did not work since your last visit. Be a prepared guest and receive the most from your next appointment.