Photos by Tommy Parker of Ginger Built Design.
The Makeup Chair is a monthly column by Jillian Wilkey, a professional makeup artist in the Bay Area.
I’ve had the pleasure of working alongside Missy Schnaps, a hair and fashion stylist, for the past two-and-a-half years at Salon on the Square. Missy discovered hair was her destiny while she was growing up in the 1980s in New Jersey. Surrounded by big hair, there was no shortage of inspiration. Fashion styling was a natural extension of hair styling.
“I see the big picture,” says Missy. “Not just the cut or the color, but the whole look. And clothes just occur to me in a very natural way. I love creating looks, trying things on someone, layering and un-layering the items until all of a sudden, like a missing puzzle piece, it all just works. It's very satisfying.”
Missy's advice is to "know your body and find clothes that flatter it." That’s one of many reasons why I turn to her to dress me up for events and parties. She also always throws the yard sale of the year and recently opened up her own Instagram shop (@missyroseclothes). Missy is style, sophistication and glamour all in one. What’s in Missy’s bag?
1. Tweezerman Tweezers: Because of hairs!
2. Epicurean Lip Balm: It feels soothing on my lips and leaves them looking shiny.
3. Davines Anti-Aging Hand Cream: Delicious smell and super moisturizing for hands that have been doing hair all day. Also, it doubles as a soothing balm for my fly away hairs.
4. Jane Iredale Pure Moist Lipstick in Katerina: An amazing, plummy, wine-stained color that packs on shine.
5. Jane Iredale Mascara: Nothing gets me from day to night like this. All I need are two coats and I'm ready to go.
Next month's column will feature Laurie Davis of Reign Salon.